Here are my picks for the top five casinos in the USA. I wish I could say that this was based on some quantifiable measure but it is based solely on my opinion and the experiences I’ve had at these places.
1. The Trump Taj Mahal Casino Resort is located in Atlantic City, New Jersey, in the bustling casino area along the shore. The casino is owned by Trump Entertainment Resorts. With approximately 75 regular tables and 14 tournament tables, the Taj Mahal has one of the largest poker rooms in Atlantic City, second in size only to the Borgata. The poker room was also featured in the 1998 movie Rounders. It is currently undergoing a $250 million renovation and addition of a new hotel tower, which commenced groundbreaking in July 2006. The hotel has 2,248 guest rooms, including 237 suites. The casino has 3,124 slots and 210 table games.
The casino was officially inaugurated in 1990, which was built at a total cost of nearly one billion dollars. Throughout the years it has been the most popular place for tourists, due to its name and size. Michael Jackson participated in the Opening Ceremonies in 1990, when the Trump Taj Mahal opened for the first time.
2. The MGM Grand Detroit Casino Resort in Detroit, Michigan is one of three casinos in the city, and one of four in the Detroit’s Windsor area. The luxury resort opened on October 3, 2007.
This is the first luxury casino resort in a major metropolis outside of Las Vegas and the first in downtown Detroit. Detroit was the largest American city and metropolitan region to offer casino resorts as of 2007.
3. The MGM Grand Las Vegas is a hotel casino located on the Las Vegas Strip in Paradise, Nevada. The MGM Grand is the second largest hotel in the world and second largest hotel resort complex in the United States behind The Venetian. The MGM Grand was the largest hotel in the world when it opened in 1993.
Owned and operated by MGM Resorts International, the 30-floor main building is 293 ft high. The property includes five outdoor pools, rivers, and waterfalls that cover 6.6 acres, a 380,000 sq ft convention center, the MGM Grand Garden Arena, CBS Television City, and the Grand Spa. It also houses numerous shops and night clubs, 19 restaurants, and the largest casino in Clark County, which occupies 171,500 sq ft.
4. The Eldorado Hotel Casino is a hotel and casino located in Reno, Nevada. The hotel was the first new casino to open on the opposite end of the railroad tracks during Reno’s early gaming expansion in the 1970s. A businessman and family with California roots, the Carano family, purchased land in Downtown Reno for a hotel-casino. The Eldorado is today one of Downtown Reno’s largest hotels and one of the highest ranking hotel-casinos in the nation.
The hotel is known for its food. Its owners own a stake in the Ferrari-Carano winery in California. They sponsor many food type events in Reno and own their own bakery in the hotel’s basement. Entertainment is also a draw for the hotel; an 580 seat showroom plays host to nationally touring Broadway productions and stage shows.
5. The Wynn Las Vegas is located on the Las Vegas Strip. The US$2.7 billion resort is named after casino developer Steve Wynn and is the flagship property of Wynn Resorts Limited. The resort covers 215 acres and has 45 floors with the 2,716 rooms. The complex also includes a 111,000 sq ft casino, a convention center with 223,000 sq ft of space, and 76,000 sq ft of retail space. Together with the adjacent Encore, the entire Wynn resort complex has a total of 4,750 rooms.